Aug. 4

I have decided that I both have too much fabric and I haven't been practicing my pattern drafting skills I learned last semester. This is a convenient situation in that it has a very clear solution.

I decided I wanted to make a sundress with some pretty navy gingham I got super cheap at Hancocks this summer. I have also really been loving how many backless dresses I've seen online this year, so I tried my luck with drafting a bodice with a normal front, but a twisted up back. It took me three muslin bodices to work it out but I'm so happy with it! The only things I would change are to lower the neckline a bit and make the twist of the back low enough to hide a bra. I thought I had it measured correctly for this but I was apparently waaaay off. I promise I don't draft while under the influence. The skirt could be fuller as well.

Also, if I were to make this again I would draft it so that instead of a twisted bodice, I would simply gather the back up with some fabric, kind of like a bow. The twisted bodice really led to some interesting lining techniques that in the end worked very well, but were fairly time consuming.

I had to sew the lining to the back piece separately before doing anything with the bodice front since I wouldn't have been able to twist it after it was sewn together. Sewing the lining in the front required me to first sew up the neckline and armholes, then kind of sandwich the lined back piece in between the bodice piece and it's lining, sewing the shoulder seams and side seams through all the layers and then turning inside out. I should have taken a picture but I doubt you would have been able to see what was going on through all of the gingham. 

I also admit that as of the taking of these pictures, the bottom of the skirt was only serged. I will need to hem this baby up tonight maybe.

But now on to some pictures!

1 comment: